Oh, the woes of planning a honeymoon. It can be a daunting task especially if you’re spending most of your time planning every last-minute detail of your wedding to make sure it’s all executed without a hitch! Going through that time-consuming process may have you looking for a shorter honeymoon that fits your limited vacation schedule and/or budget. A mini-moon is perfect for couples who may want to focus on paying off their amazing wedding and save up for that dream honeymoon, such as a week-long stay in an overwater bungalow in Tahiti, an adventure-themed post-wedding rendezvous in Costa Rica, or an historic river cruise along one of Europe’s most popular waterways.
And we couldn’t think of anyone better to help you decide if a mini-honeymoon is right for you than Carrie Brandt, Vacation’s romance expert. With more than 10 years of experience offering advice about romantic getaways, weddings and honeymoons, Carrie offers insider tips on how you can choose the perfect honeymoon destination, and she provides a list of her favorite honeymoon destinations, too!
Why Choose a Mini-Moon:
• You have limited vacation time or other obligations, but still want to get away to celebrate.
• Your wedding killed your budget and you want to honeymoon big.
• You’re having a destination wedding and want to spend time after your big day with your guests who traveled to celebrate with you.
How to Decide Where to Go on a Mini-Moon:
• Pick a destination that has frequent flights to and from your home airport, which allows for a flexible and shorter stay.
• Choose a destination that has minimal entry requirements, such as a passport or just a U.S. driver’s license.
• Consider a place that is walkable and doesn’t require a car to get around.
• Select a hotel or resort that has a lot of the amenities, like on-site restaurants, a full-service spa and a concierge.
Choose a destination that has minimal entry requirements, such as a passport or just a U.S. driver's license.
Carrie’s Favorite Mini-Moon Choices:
• CANCUN – Throughout the year, it’s an easy destination to get to regardless of where you live in the United States. It is filled with beautiful beaches, contemporary resorts, and all-inclusives.
• ST. THOMAS – It’s beautiful and hassle-free destination because you only need your driver’s license to visit.
• CALIFORNIA – Cali has it all: beaches, mountains, wineries and metropolitan cities. You can find everything from boutique hotels to all the major hotel chains.
• MARTHA’S VINEYARD – It’s a wonderful option from spring to fall. It also has fresh seafood, a small-town romantic feel, and it’s the laid-back quintessential East Coast getaway.
• ASPEN, COLO. – Throughout the entire year, Aspen has beautiful scenery and fun activities. You can choose to do as much or as little as you want.
• Don’t try and plan too much. Be sure to take this time to do a few “must-see” things in the destination, then save plenty of time to just relax and enjoy each other.
• Don’t travel too far away. Europe has a lot to offer, but a mini-moon is not the time to do it. Instead save that for your 1-year anniversary.
• Don’t over pack. Bring the essentials and leave the rest at home. By packing “just right” you can carry-on your luggage and spend less time at the airport and more time in your destination.
• Have fun! You deserve it after surviving the stress of all of that wedding planning!
Inspired by this article and want to speak with an expert travel agent about how you can plan an unforgettable mini-moon or honeymoon? Let one of Vacation’s on-call travel experts match you with an expert travel agent to customize an itinerary you’re gonna love.