Top 6 Honeymoon Destinations
Travel Agents Pick the Best
The results are in! Vacation.com surveyed 140 experienced travel agents about the honeymoon destinations that their clients love most. If you’re looking for honeymoon ideas, discover the 6 most romantic, fun, and satisfying places to go right now, according to our experts.
For each location, we’ve included agent-approved, client-tested ideas for activities, excursions, food, and more. Get inspired with our list of the top 6 honeymoon destinations, selected by travel agents.
1. St. Lucia
What makes St. Lucia a top pick for travel agents?
Around 1 in 4 surveyed travel specialists chose St. Lucia as the best honeymoon destination. With its lush landscape and majestic Pitons on the west coast, this island in the Eastern Caribbean is perfect for romance. According to Michigan-based travel agent Sandra Smith, the beaches, rainforest, luxury resorts, cuisine, history, and world-class diving, are all attractions that make St. Lucia an ideal honeymoon destination.
“My clients tend to be drawn to a stress-free, romantic destination,” says Aubree Campbell, a travel agent located in Kansas City. And the sun-drenched tropical landscape of St. Lucia delivers on that!
What you should see and do on a St. Lucia honeymoon?
- Explore the island’s diverse terrain. Visit the St. Lucia Botanical Gardens and the Diamond Waterfall. Take a volcano tour in a 4x4 Jeep. And tour the coast of the island on a catamaran.
- Go scuba diving in the warm blue waters to see exotic ocean life.
- Feeling adventurous? Hike the scenic Pitons, two impressive volcanic spires that are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Many of the travel agents we surveyed mentioned that the Pitons were a major highlight for couples who booked their honeymoon to stay in St. Lucia.
- Get a bird’s-eye view of the island’s lush landscape, and take a helicopter transfer to the other side of the island.
- Indulge your sweet tooth. “Book a cocoa plantation tour at Hotel Chocolat where guests can make their own chocolate bar,” suggests Bonnie J. Laferriere, a New Hampshire-based agent.
- Let all your tension just melt away with a mud bath at the volcanic Sulphur Springs in Soufriere.
- And, of course, spend plenty of time lounging on St. Lucia’s white-sand and black-sand beaches, such as Reduit Beach, Jalousie Beach, and Anse Chastanet.
Best months to visit St. Lucia?
What makes Jamaica a top pick for travel agents?
Great island food and a laid-back vibe give Jamaica its unique allure among Caribbean destinations, according to Minnesota travel agent Ryan Walseth. And if you enjoy reggae, you should consider a honeymoon to this island nation where the music genre was born.
As New York-based Caribbean specialist Tammy O'Hara explains, “There are plenty of options and something for everyone, whether you want an ultra-luxurious all-inclusive package, a villa experience, or a top of the line EP [pay-as-you-go plan].” In addition to all-inclusive resorts and beaches, Montego Bay’s British-colonial architecture and Negril’s popular diving and snorkeling sites are other reasons why honeymooners flock to this Caribbean island.
What to see and do on a Jamaica honeymoon?
- Pamper yourself. Jamaica’s seamless, world-class welcome and white-sand beaches invite you to unwind and spend quality time with that special someone.
- Take a sunset excursion that ends with a stop at Rick’s Café—voted one of the world’s best bars—to watch a heart-pumping cliff diving show.
- Climb waterfalls on an excursion to Blue Hole in the Ocho Rios area. Go swimming “in a local area known for its incredibly blue waters, where local guides assist you and teach you about Jamaica,” recommends Lori Randle, a travel agent located in New York.
- Sample the mouth-wateringly delicious local cuisine. Randle suggests visiting Scotchies restaurant in Montego Bay for the best Jamaican jerk food you’ll ever taste.
- Ask your agent to book you a sea salt and hot stone massage, suggests Virginia-based travel consultant Anne Marie Cronin.
- Take a zip-lining excursion to see the island from the treetops.
- Want to try something unusual? Go horseback riding in the ocean. You’ll splash along the shallow waters by an exquisite beach. Several travel agents recommended this fun adventure.
- For romantic moments you’ll always treasure, take a sunset cruise or a savor a candlelit dinner on the beach.
Best months to visit Jamaica?
3. Bora Bora and Tahitian Islands
What makes Bora Bora a top pick for travel agents?
If you’re dreaming of tropical tranquility, you’ll find your bliss in Bora Bora’s overwater bungalows with crystalline blue-green waters drifting calmly below. In our survey, travel agents recommended Bora Bora in particular and Tahiti in general as destinations for the ultimate honeymoon. Beyond relaxation, there’s no shortage of activities—from hiking up Mount Otemanu to going on 4x4 excursions to sunbathing on the popular Matira Beach.
“The overall experience is just magical,” says Texas-based travel agent Laura Kreitz, citing the clear waters and serene bungalow accommodations. Despite Tahiti’s faraway mystique, “It’s easier than you think to get there, especially for people who are on the West Coast of the United States.”
What to see and do on a Bora Bora honeymoon?
- Stay in a Tahitian overwater bungalow—much imitated, never equaled in design and opulence, according to Connecticut-based travel agent Eric Ardolino. “Your dining room table inside has a glass top that looks into the water, so you can watch the fish below!”
- Swim in the calm, stunning turquoise waters around the motu (“an island off an island”) where your bungalow is located. “Each one has its own staircase right into the ocean,” says Ardolino.
- Wake up each morning to a fresh breakfast delivered from an outrigger canoe.
- Go swimming with peaceful sharks and rays. “It may sound scary, but it’s a favorite even for tentative honeymooners,” says Kreitz. “When they get home, they say it was the most exhilarating experience they’ve had in a long time.”
- If you split your stay between Bora Bora and Mo’orea, take a day trip to a village on the latter, more laid-back island. “Some of the village visits have been really popular, especially when newlyweds have an opportunity to meet with the locals, see how they live, and experience the local life,” says Kreitz.
- If you enjoy cruising, Ardolino recommends exploring more islands on a luxurious, exclusive 7-day Paul Gauguin Cruise.
- Take a stargazing boat tour. There’s nothing more romantic than looking up into the night sky with your new spouse.
Best months to visit Bora Bora?
4. Riviera Maya (Mexico)
What makes the Riviera Maya a top pick for travel agents?
As several agents noted, you can get more luxury treatment for your budget and cut out a long travel time with a postnuptial getaway on the Riviera Maya in Mexico. Wisconsin-based travel consultant Teri Leonhard often recommends this destination because of “the variety of resorts” and the growing diversity in excursion options. “There’s always something new!”
If you didn’t already know, the Riviera Maya is a stretch of Caribbean coastline on Mexico’s northeastern Yucatan Peninsula, which includes popular travel destinations such as Playa del Carmen and Tulum. From all-inclusive beachfront resorts to ancient Mayan ruins, this many-splendored region can suit the tastes of almost any couple.
What to see and do on a Riviera Maya honeymoon?
- Visit Xplor Park for jungle ziplining and tours of underground rivers with astounding rock formations.
- Go snorkeling on the coast near your resort or take a catamaran to see more colorful reefs and marine life.
- Be “wowed” by a spectacular show at Xcaret, an eco-archeological park, where 300 artists recreate the history of Mexico. You can also enjoy a romantic boat ride and dinner in a new section of the park.
- Take a day trip inland along the Yucatan Peninsula to visit the Mayan ruins at Chichén Itzá and climb to the top of El Castillo, an awe-inspiring temple pyramid. Let the spell of an ancient civilization capture your imagination.
- Take a private charter and go deep sea fishing.
- Hit the dance floor at lavish nightclubs like Señor Frog’s and Margaritaville.
- Ask your agent to book you a swim-out suite or overwater bungalow at one of many of the resorts located in the area, like the El Dorado Maroma.
Best months to visit the Riviera Maya?
What makes Italy a top pick for travel agents?
From romantic gondola rides in Venice to shopping sprees in the fashion capital of Milan, from the colorful towns along the Amalfi Coast to Lake Como’s globetrotting celebs and royals… these are just a few of the tempting reasons why travel agents recommend Italy to newlyweds.
But it doesn’t stop there! Foodies will enjoy the Tuscan wine region for its spirits and tasty cuisine. History buffs can tour the Colosseum and other vestiges of the Roman Empire. Classical music lovers can catch a performance at the Arena di Verona amphitheatre, still in use after almost 2,000 years, or at one of Italy’s many magnificent opera houses. The biggest dilemma will be trying to decide which sites and parts of Italy you want to cover on your honeymoon!
What to do and see on an Italy honeymoon?
- Spend time in Florence, the epicenter of Renaissance culture. A travel agent can arrange luxury educational experiences, such as “private museums tours, cooking classes, and day trips to local cities like Pisa,” says Indiana-based travel agent Tamara Cavender.
- “Go wine tasting in the countryside,” recommends Anne Rose, a travel agent located in California. Make sure you talk to your travel agent about scheduling a private vineyard tour and wine tasting.
- Take an excursion to Pompeii. Explore the remnants of an ancient Roman town preserved by volcanic ash.
- If you want to spend time on the beach, consider a relaxing honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast and admire the cerulean blue waters and breathtaking cliff-top views. “It’s more exclusive and can also be combined with touring the rest of Italy,” says Amanda Smerdel, a travel agent located in Ohio.
Best months to visit Italy?
What makes Hawaii a top pick for travel agents?
The Hawaiian Islands are not only an amazing travel destination, but also easy for American newlyweds to reach for their honeymoons. No passport required! "You can be as active or sedate as you want," says Pennsylvania-based travel agent Helga Leonard.
Every Hawaiian island has its own distinct flair and attractions. Maui offers luxury beachfront resorts and the epic Road to Hana trip. Oahu draws honeymooners with its urban-metro feel and world-class surfing. In Kauai, happy couples can explore jaw-dropping natural wonders by hiking to waterfalls, such as the cascading Wailua Falls. These islands are perfect for couples who want to relax on the beach, tee off at a well-known golf course, or take an adventurous hike in a National Park.
What to do and see on a Hawaii honeymoon?
- Soak up sun on some of Hawaii’s beaches, including some areas famous for vividly colored volcanic sand. In addition to classic white-sand beaches, black, green, and red shores add magic to you sunbathing experience.
- Visit Volcano National Park. Take guided hikes. Listen to the “dawn chorus” of birds as they awaken. Gaze at petroglyphs on sacred Pu’u Loa. And learn about traditional Hawaiian crafts, dances, and more with ʻIke Hana Noʻeau (“Experience the Skillful Work”) events.
- Take a helicopter tour over the volcanoes, suggests travel agent Keiko Mori, located in Honolulu. See the glowing, tumultuous landscape safely from above.
- Watch the sun rise from the heavenly summit of Haleakala, towering over the island of Maui. Then ride mountain bikes down the peak, as Atlanta-based travel specialist Neal Miller recommends.
- Go swimming with dolphins, recommends California-based travel agent Kevin Price. Bonding with these playful, highly intelligent mammals in warm, gentle waters is an experience you’ll never forget.
Best months to visit Hawaii?
OTHER TRAVEL AGENT-APPROVED DESTINATIONS:
What makes Antigua a top pick for travel agents?
Located to the east of St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua is a dream spot for newlyweds seeking a relaxing beach getaway. For excitement and nightlife, you can party in the bustling capital city of St. John’s. And if you’re looking for pristine waters? Brenda Punchak says that Antigua has “very little seaweed”—a common nuisance in the Caribbean.
Honeymoon highlights to consider:
- Go on sailing and hiking excursions.
- Book a couple’s massage at your hotel’s or resort’s spa.
- Don’t leave without relaxing on one or more of this island’s beautiful beaches.
Best months to visit Antigua?
January, March and November
What makes Aruba a top pick for travel agents?
Bonbini (Welcome)! Don’t worry about storms spoiling your fun on Aruba. This Dutch Caribbean island off the coast of Venezuela consistently receives the least rainfall in the Southern Caribbean. Corey Bowlin recommends the island for its “amazing beach” and “great dining.” According to Tina Erskine, Aruba is also an “affordable option most haven't considered.”
Honeymoon highlights to consider:
- Enjoy delicious dinners from the variety of dining options available.
- Book a tour to explore the island in a Jeep or 4-wheeler.
- Set sail with your new spouse on a catamaran excursion around the island.
Best month to visit Aruba?
January and February
What makes Costa Rica a top pick for travel agents?
Adventurous couples will love an exhilarating—and affordable—honeymoon in Costa Rica. Hit the waves for world-class surfing. Feel the intoxicating adrenaline rush as you glide on a zipline above the treetops. Embark on a wildlife tour to see indigenous animals that call rainforests and cloud forests home.
Tap into the reason why Costa Ricans live longer, healthier lives than people around the world. Adopt pura vida (pure life) as a way to celebrate this new chapter in your relationship.
Plus, travel consultant Megan Amelio recommends Costa Rica, because “there are unique luxury accommodations, it's safe, and the people and food are amazing!”
Honeymoon highlights to consider:
- Book a mega-combo tour that includes ziplining, white-water rafting, and horseback riding.
- Go hiking in the rainforest near Arenal Volcano.
- Make reservations for a private candlelit dinners on the beach.
Best months to visit Costa Rica?
February, March and April
What makes the Maldives a top pick for travel agents?
If you’re fantasizing about an exclusive tropical destination, the Maldives—a group of coral islands in the Indian Ocean—may be the right spot for you. Renowned for blue lagoons and extensive reefs, “it’s off the beaten path,” explains Julie Evans, whose clients relish the chance to discover “a destination that most of their friends haven’t visited or even heard of.”
Newlyweds should plan a honeymoon the Maldives because it offers unrivaled luxury, dazzling white-sand beaches, more than 100 resorts with high-end amenities, and some of the best places to go diving and snorkeling.
Honeymoon highlights to consider:
- Make reservations at an underwater restaurant.
- Get a travel agent to book your stay in an overwater bungalows.
- Feeling adventurous? Step outside of your comfort zone and take surf lessons.
Best months to visit the Maldives?
April and November
What makes Santorini a top pick for travel agents?
For a destination that makes every cell phone photo look like a postcard from paradise, travel with your beloved to Santorini, an island located between Greece and Turkey. According to James Camsell, “the views, serenity, and laid-back pace” all contribute to Santorini’s charm. Melissa Gladney calls Santorini “the best place for fall honeymoons.” Reasonable pricing and general safety are reasons why travel agents recommend Santorini as an excellent getaway for newlyweds.
Honeymoon highlights to consider:
- Take a private yacht cruise on the Aegean Sea.
- Watch orange and blue sunsets from the rocky cliffs.
- Dine on tangy traditional Greek fare on a terrace with vistas of azure waters and whitewashed buildings.
Best months to visit Santorini?
June through September
Inspired by our honeymoon guide and want to speak with an expert travel agent about how you can plan an unforgettable post-nuptial getaway to one of these travel-agent recommended honeymoon destinations? Let one of Vacation’s on-call travel experts match you with an expert travel agent to customize an itinerary you’re gonna love.